Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

The Supreme Court Of The United States

  • What did you learn about the Supreme Court that you didn't already know?
  • What is the most important take-away point about the Supreme Court?
  • What was the most surprising thing you learned?
  • How did the video change the way you thought of the Supreme Court?


Supreme Court Of The United States

The Supreme Court: More Influential Than I Ever Realized

Before watching this video, I viewed the Supreme Court as an important branch of government, but I never fully understood how much influence it has on the nation. What surprised me most was how the Court operates as a quiet but powerful institution that continues shaping American life long after presidents leave office.

One fact that really stood out was how long justices can remain on the bench. Presidents may serve for a
Official Group Photo of the Supreme Court Justices

limited number of years, but Supreme Court justices often serve for decades. I found it interesting that presidents may hope to influence the Court through appointments, yet the results are not always what they expect.

I was also surprised by some of the insights shared by former justices. One justice explained that when he first joined the Court, he was told it would take years before he truly understood how to do the job. That comment made me realize how unique the Supreme Court is and how much learning takes place even after a justice is appointed.

The biggest takeaway for me was the importance of discussion and debate. According to the video, the justices meet regularly, exchange ideas, and work through difficult constitutional questions together. I found it fascinating that each justice is encouraged to speak and contribute before others respond. The process seems designed to promote fairness, respect, and thoughtful decision-making.

Another thing I never knew was the tradition of greeting fellow justices before discussions begin. Even when they disagree on important issues, they are expected to respect one another and avoid holding grudges. To me, that says a lot about the professionalism required to serve on the Court.

The video also highlighted historical figures such as John Marshall and several other notable justices whose contributions helped shape the institution over time. I came away with a greater appreciation for how the Court has evolved while continuing to interpret the Constitution and examine the limits of government power. 

"The people made the Constitution, and the people can unmake it." Washington, D.C.

After watching this video, I see the Supreme Court differently. Rather than simply deciding cases, it serves as a long-lasting institution built on debate, tradition, and a commitment to applying the Constitution to some of the nation's most difficult questions.

____________

AI DISCLOSURE: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video while watching the history of the Supreme Court. I emphasized my own reactions and opinions, I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources together images appropriate images and captions.

____________

WATCH THE VIDEOS NOW:

____

_____________

No comments:

Post a Comment

SPEECH THEORIES

The community of speech are full with many theories. In class you will learn which value best resonates with me. There are Eight Values of F...